Best Car All-Season Tires 2020 – Reviews and Buyer’s Guide09.02.2020
Every-season change of car tires causes an increase in the cost of operating the car. It’s not just about buying two sets of tires about once every 3 seasons, but also the cost of replacing and balancing them twice a year. For this reason, many motorists decide to use car all-season tires that are universally suitable for both summer and winter. When choosing which all-season tires should be purchased, you need to remember what different types of tires are designed for. In summer, under high temperatures, rubber that is not adapted for such conditions can simply melt. If there are spikes on it, they can fall out or deform, plus make it difficult to move on certain types of roads. Significantly increases the braking distance, increases the consumption of gasoline, the car becomes more difficult to manage. In winter, the rubber in the cold can become hard and crack, lose its softness and elasticity, which can lead to an accident.Therefore, the use of universal tires is recommended only in certain climatic conditions. These tires are better suited where there is no harsh winter and too hot summer, and the temperature regime is relatively stable
Michelin Defender LTX M/S All-Season Radial Tire
- Light Truck, SUV & Crossover Tire
- Long wear life & great comfort
- Excellent wet & snow traction
- 70, 000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited
- 60-days satisfaction & 3-year flat tire assistance
Michelin Defender LTX M/S – all-season non-directional tires designed for use on vehicles of the SUV and CUV class, as well as light trucks. In addition to stable handling and excellent coupling properties at any time of the year, they are characterized by a long period of operation, environmental friendliness and fuel efficiency. The Michelin Defender LTX M/S was introduced by the North American division of the French manufacturer as a replacement for the Michelin LTX M/S, LTX M/S2 and LTX A/S tires.
The maximum guaranteed mileage of some Defender LTX M/S sizes is almost 90 thousand miles, but depending on the application, power and torque of the vehicle, the upper limit may be significantly less. So, for Defender LTX M/S tires in dimensions that should cover the demand for tires for half-ton pickups and SUVs, the warranty mileage will be 70,000 miles. But the running capacity of tires designed for larger cars will not exceed 50,000 miles.
The competitive advantage of the Defender LTX M/S model is the use of proprietary EverTread technology. It optimizes the wear resistance of tires by preventing mechanical damage when driving on a gravel surface or rough terrain.
Special resins are added to the rubber mixture containing highly dispersed silica as a plasticizer instead of oils, which makes the tires harder at the molecular level. Thanks to this technology, the wear resistance of the Defender LTX M/S has been increased by 10% in comparison with previous models.
Like winter tires, Defender LTX M/S blocks are covered with numerous small slats that improve grip on snow-covered and wet road surfaces. Internal Michelin tests showed that when wet braking at 50 mph, Defender LTX M/S (41.6 m) tires stop up to 10 meters earlier than the three leading competitor models in the 265/70 R17 size: Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus (49.6 m), Firestone Destinatione LE2 (44 m) and Goodyear Wrangler SR-A (52 m). The internal design of the MaxTouch helps to save up to 250 liters of fuel over the entire life of the tire.
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Radial Tire
- CoreGard Technology: Tougher Sidewall Rubber: Split & bruise resistant sidewall rubber, derived from BFGoodrich's race proven Baja T/AKR2 tire. Thicker, Extended Shoulder Rubber: Increased rubber thickness, extending down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. Advanced Deflection Design: Computer predicted object path design deflects protruding objects from snagging & splitting the sidewall.
- Specially formulated tread rubber: Optimally blended to reduce chip and tear for superior gravel road endurance. Advanced tire footprint shape: results in more evenly distributed stress, for longer more uniform wear. Interlocking Tread Design: provide increased tread block stability, for more even wear over the long haul Stone Ejectors: Rejects stone retention & provides extra tread cleanout protection against stone drilling.
- Upper Sidewall Traction Bars: Protruding sidewall rubber blocks that provide increased mud, snow & rock traction, especially in aired-down driving situations. Mud-Phobic Bars: Raised bars in the shoulder tread area that helps to release compacted mud for enhanced traction in muddy and soft soil conditions.
- Serrated Shoulder Design: Staggered shoulder blocks that provide greater maneuverability in soft soil and deep snow conditions. Locking 3-D Sipes: 3-D active sipe technology, that provides more biting edges for significantly increased snow traction. 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake: Exceeds Rubber Manufacturer Association (RMA) Severe Snow Traction requirements.
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 is an all-season tire of increased rigidity, which is positioned by the manufacturer as well as a reliable winter tire. Designed to meet the needs of SUV and pickup truck owners who always want to be sure of their safety behind the wheel at any time of the year. This high-strength model is characterized by excellent all-season traction on any road and long service life.
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires are manufactured using off-road racing tires, so it is not surprising that the feature of this model is its high strength. Thanks to coregard's proprietary technology, the all-terrain model of the second generation perfectly resists various types of damage (including bumps and cuts) that can cause the tire to split. To confirm what the manufacturer even conducted an experiment, throwing from a height of 3000 kilometers All-Terrain T/A KO2 on the rocky terrain of the North American state of Utah.
After landing, the tire was installed on the waiting SUV, which after a forced pit stop calmly continued its confident movement over rough terrain. It is not surprising that the company BFG now boldly claims that its brainchild is the most durable of all off-road tires.
But, as you know, it's not just about technology, says the technical specialist IMCarExperts.com for Example, damage to the side walls is prevented by using an additional layer of rubber compound, as well as by powerful shoulder blocks designed to repel objects that can damage the integrity of the tire.
The high strength of the BFGoodrich All Terrain TA KO2 is also due to the optimized tread design. It provides not only good tire endurance on a gravel road, but also a uniform distribution of pressure on the contact spot, and consequently, uniform tread wear, and long-term operation of the tire.
Good cross-country performance of this aggressive all-season model is provided by the tread structure features. Thus, large interconnected blocks of the Central part help the tire to quickly self-clean itself from water and dirt in the contact spot, thereby guaranteeing the stability of the tire's performance properties and the preservation of course stability. Self-locking slats applied to the surface of these blocks increase traction in the snow. Side cogged ground hooks improve maneuverability in rocky terrain, deep snow, and mud.
The tire and rubber industry Association of Canada TRAC confirms that BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 meets all requirements for tires designed for harsh winters. According to its data, the previous model of the line definitely loses on its background. The second-generation model has a 19% increased grip on snow, but in mud this figure has grown by 10%.
Well, finally, it is worth remembering the rubber compound All Terrain T/A KO 2. It also contributes to the overall strength of the model, as it was borrowed from the off-road tire Baja T/A KR2, which has repeatedly brought victory to participants of the famous Baja 500 race.
Perhaps the only drawback of the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T / A KO2 is the fuel gluttony of the model, but this is the sin of almost all-terrain tires and this fact should not be much surprised. There are no perfect tires in the world, and manufacturers always sacrifice some indicators to extol the most important ones.
Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate All Season Performance Tire
- Engineered for real-life performance on real-life roads.
- Premium quality tires from a trusted brand
- The actual Tread Pattern for your specific tire may vary slightly from the displayed images based on the size and/or width of the actual tire ordered.
- Price is per tire
Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate-designed for year-round operation, asymmetric tires of the Ultra High Performance class, characterized by good traction, steering accuracy, as well as braking efficiency and maneuverability on wet surfaces. New in 2019, focused on the North American market.
Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate tires are the result of more than three years of research and testing, which best meets the needs of consumers, in particular in performance on wet roads. In the model range, they will replace Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric all-Season tires.
In the Eagle Exhilarate model, Goodyear developers used a number of patented technologies. ActiveGrip improves tire traction and handling, says a Shina technician.Guide. ActiveBraking helps reduce the braking distance on wet and dry surfaces. And the result of using ActiveStrength technology was the appearance of a light-weight, but strong internal structure that significantly improves handling.
A new all-weather tread rubber compound with an optimized combination of high-performance polymers and resins improves Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate grip on wet, dry and snow-covered roads. Wear indicators located in eight places around the tire circumference allow car owners to visually determine the remaining tread depth and uneven wear.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ All Season Performance Radial Tire
- Corner with exacting control. Our Variable Contact Patch 3.0 spreads cornering pressures evenly over the contact patch for more grip and control, plus long-lasting tires.
- You're in control, even when the weather is trying to take over. Our groundbreaking Extreme Silica+ compound stays grippy when wet, while large rain grooves and 3-D sipes help prevent hydroplaning.
- A little ice or snow won't slow you down, thanks to advanced Helio+ Technology that's built to stick even in the cold. Plus, hidden Biting Edges grab loose snow for fast starts and stops.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is an asymmetric all-season UHP tire designed for use on sports cars such as the Audi A5, BMW M3, Corvette and Ford Mustang. They are characterized by first-class traction properties on dry and wet road surfaces, good traction on snow and driving comfort.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (AS 3 Plus) tire is the third generation in the French manufacturer's line of ultra-high performance all-season tires. Like its direct predecessors, Pilot Sport A/S 3 and Pilot Sport A/S Plus, as well as the other models of the Michelin Pilot family: Pilot Super Sport, Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Pilot Alpin PA4, the all-season "A/S 3+" combines a unique design and an improved rubber compound of the tread, which are the key to excellent traction on snow and effective braking in wet and dry road conditions.
The Arsenal of technological innovations of the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires, inherited by the model from the participation of Michelin products in endurance races, includes:
- The rubber Helio + compound, which includes sunflower oil, combined with the unique sharp edges of the tread grooves, provides fast acceleration and braking on loose snow, so that the driver of a sports car will always feel confident in cold snow conditions.
- Variable Contact Patch 3.0 technology, originally developed for Formula 1 tires. It allows you to more evenly distribute the temperature and pressure in the contact spot. Combined with an aggressive asymmetric tread pattern inspired by the Pilot Super Sport model, says a Shina technical specialist.For example, the technology helps to increase the coupling properties on dry and wet asphalt, as well as uniform tread wear. By the way, the warranty mileage of the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 + model is stated at 72500 km.
- The extreme amount of silica in the rubber compound (a solution borrowed from rain tires that took part in the 24 hours of Le Mans endurance race), combined with variable thickness slats and wide drainage grooves, significantly improves the tire's grip on wet roads and resistance to aquaplaning in deep water.
Internal tests of the manufacturer using the BMW 328i showed that when braking from 50 mph on wet roads and 60 mph on dry asphalt, the length of the braking distance of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus tires in the amount of 225/45 ZR17 is significantly less than that of the leading all-season competitive ultra-high performance tires. From myself I will note that in reality, the results may vary.
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ was also recorded as superior to its predecessor in traction on a snow-covered surface. This figure increased by 28%. In comparison with the Continental ExtremeContact DW summer tires belonging to the Max Performance class, the third-generation all-season pilot tire demonstrated significantly better handling and braking performance in dry road conditions.
BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S Performance Radial Tire
- UltiGrip Technology: 1) Large, rigid tread blocks optimize rubber-to-road contact for ultimate dry grip. 2) Consistent tread block rigidity balances acceleration forces within the tire footprint.
- Performance Racing Core: ETEC System (TM) Equal Tension Containment System optimizes the contact patch for enhanced traction at speed.
- UltiGrip Technology: 1) Optimized rubber-to-road contact for ultimate dry grip 2) All-season compound designed for the best wet and dry grip.g-Force (TM) Tread: 1) Squared-off shoulder and enhanced contact patch shape evenly distributes stresses across the footprint. 2) Performance Tread Profile resists irregular wear typically associated with directional tread designs.
- UltiGrip Technology: 1) High-silica, cold-weather flexing compound for best wet and dry grip and all-season traction. 2) V-shaped angled lateral and longitudinal grooves efficiently evacuate water for better wet traction. 3) High-lateral void with beveled biting edges and wide lateral grooves improve snow retention and adherence for greater mobility during winter.
- Dynamic Suspension System (DSS) is a reinforced internal structure that increases control while maintaining ride comfortg-Control (TM) Sidewall Inserts add sidewall stiffness to resist deflection for immediate turning response.Performance Tread Profile for ultimate grip in hard cornering, and a bold performance look.
The BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S is a hot-rod sports tire that blurs the line between high performance and all-season use. It is characterized by a comfortable ride, effective braking and excellent handling. It will definitely surprise you with its high wear resistance and fuel efficiency.
The manufacturer has already dubbed the model BFGoodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S "the best all-season UHP car tires in the history of the brand." It is not surprising, because the tire in addition to first-class grip with dry and wet asphalt in the summer provides reliable contact with snow-covered roads.
If you know something about the brand's products, you are probably familiar with the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport Comp 2-a high-performance summer tire designed for sports cars. Since both tires (BF Goodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S and BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2) have almost the same name, it goes without saying that their design is similar. But while the "Sport Comp-2" tires are only effective in warm weather, the all-season model Sport Comp-2 A/S promises high performance in light snow.
BFG g-Force Comp-2 a/S tires are manufactured using the proprietary UltiGrip technology, which allows the all-season rubber compound with a high content of silica to withstand large temperature differences. This means, says the technical specialist IMCarExperts.com that the tires of this model in all weather conditions retain first-class coupling properties.
The directional tread pattern is also designed to provide excellent all-season traction. V-shaped sloping shoulder grooves and longitudinal circumferential channels effectively evacuate water from the contact spot, while ensuring good grip on wet asphalt. Cross drainage grooves of increased volume, as well as blocks with beveled edges, provide additional traction on the snow-covered road surface.
Optimization of the tread block stiffness resulted in improved load distribution in the contact spot, and the reinforced armored internal structure of the g-Force Comp-2 All Season led to better control of the road situation while maintaining ride comfort. Reinforced sidewalls reduce deformation of the tire during rolling and provide quick response to steering.
The all-season BFGoodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S provides faster acceleration on wet and dry asphalt in comparison with the main competitors; it brakes earlier than the main competitors on a dry track (the difference is 5 meters) and on a wet road (the difference is 4.5 meters), and also has better traction on snow.
Bridgestone DriveGuard 3G RFT All-Season Radial Tire
- Go Up to 50 Miles After a Puncture*
- Up to 60,000 Mile Limited Mileage Warranty*
- Quiet Ride and Confident Handling
- Touring Tire With All-Season Performance
- Low-Pressure Mobility - A NanoPro-Tech rubber insert reinforces the tire making it capable of supporting the entire weight of the vehicle, even at zero pressure Proprietary “Cooling Fins” create airflow around the tire, reducing heat build-up and friction for added low-pressure mobility
Bridgestone DriveGuard is an asymmetric all-season tire of the Grand Touring class. Offers predictable behavior, excellent grip and easy handling on dry and wet roads, as well as on light snow. A great option for long-distance travel.
The Bridgestone DriveGuard model increases the mobility of the vehicle, ensures smooth running and a high degree of safety. The tire will save space in the trunk, because it is made using the proprietary Run-Flat technology, which means that in case of a puncture, you can drive another 80 kilometers and certainly find a service station.
This Bridgestone tire was designed specifically for coupes, station wagons, and sedans equipped with the TPMS tire pressure monitoring system. When the DriveGuard tire pressure drops, the TPMS icon will light up on the dashboard and you will be informed that you have up to 80 km left to get to a safe place.
The durable reinforced sidewalls of the tire can withstand the weight of your car, even with a complete loss of pressure. Branded cooling fins are designed to optimize the distribution of heat and friction after a puncture, which allows you to continue moving.
With Bridgestone DriveGuard tires, there is no need to sacrifice ride comfort for peace of mind, says a Shina technical specialist.Guide. The unique all-season tread design and lightweight construction work together to ensure ride comfort, confident grip on wet road surfaces, and responsive responses to steering wheel commands.
The rubber compound of the tire with silicon dioxide not only enhances the coupling properties of the Bridgestone Drive Guard in wet conditions, but also increases the wear resistance of the tire. Circumferential and transverse tread grooves help to evacuate water from the contact spot, thus preventing the occurrence of aquaplaning, and special slats form numerous clinging edges that increase traction on wet roads and snow.
Yokohama AVID ASCEND GT All-Season Radial Tire
- Country of Origin : Japan
- The Package Height of the Product is 9.1 inches
- The Package Length of the Product is 28.8 inches
- The Package Width of the Product is 28.8 inches
Yokohama AVID Ascend GT-asymmetric all-season tires of the Grand touring class, which provide exceptional handling and effective braking on wet and snow-covered roads, surprisingly quiet driving and high fuel efficiency, superior to the previous generation models AVID Ascend and AVID ENVigor.
The all-season traction of Yokohama AVID Ascend GT tires is due to the large number of three-dimensional slats and jagged blocks. By increasing the edge effect, they significantly improve the handling of the model on dry and wet asphalt, as well as increase the stability of the clutch on snow.
The asymmetric layout of the circumferential drainage grooves helps accelerate the removal of water and snow sludge from the contact zone, says a technical specialist IMCarExperts.com as a result, the AVID Ascend GT tires resist aquaplaning well, are stable when traveling on snowmelt, and brake quickly in wet conditions.
The new TriBlend rubber compound and the ultra-flat square contact patch guarantee high wear resistance and maintain the all-season properties of the tire throughout its long service life. The adaptive outer shoulder of the Yokohama AVID Ascend GT ensures the stability of the shoulder blocks, preventing uneven wear. The variable tread pitch of this all-season model improves mechanical and acoustic comfort.
The Japanese manufacturer's global concept called BluEarth, implemented in the model, means that this tire is "green" and has a reduced fuel consumption and friendly attitude to the environment. All-season AVID Ascend GT from Yokohama will be a good addition to a wide range of coupes, sedans and minivans.
Cooper Zeon RS3-A Radial Tire
- Tire only
- Advanced technology mold profile provides for a square tread footprint which means more tread-to-road contact.
- Silica formulated tread compound is designed for exceptional all-season driving performance.
- 3-D micro-gauge siping increases tread element stability, improves handling and tire control while reducing the possibility of stone retention.
- Asymmetric design allows for tread pattern tuning.
The Cooper Zeon RS3-A is an all-season UHP-class tire that provides road control and confidence. They are characterized by a reliable grip on wet asphalt and light snow, excellent course stability, maneuverability, and acoustic comfort.
The Cooper Zeon RS3-A model was released as a replacement for the Zeon Sport A / S. the Manufacturer claims that the asymmetric pattern, combined with fairly large siped tread blocks and an elaborate drainage system, is able to guarantee the motorist confident driving in any weather conditions that are far from ideal.
The asymmetric tread is optimized for driving on wet roads and light snow, says the technical specialist IMCarExperts.com. the Square contact spot, due to the width of the profile, creates a reliable contact between the tire and the roadbed.
Wide circumferential grooves provide good resistance to aquaplaning Zeon RS3-A. And large shoulder blocks are responsible for safe passage of turns. Reinforced shoulder areas together with high-strength cord are responsible for the high resistance of the model to various types of damage and increased loads. The all-weather Cooper Zeon RS3A rubber compound not only provides tire elasticity over a wide temperature range, but also helps to improve fuel efficiency and reduce tire noise.
Starfire Solarus AS All-Season Radial Tire
- Deep, lateral shoulder grooves to ensure excellent traction throughout the life of the tire
- Enhanced tread compound and tread profile for all-season traction
- Smooth ride with controlled handling
- Deep, lateral shoulder grooves to ensure excellent traction throughout the life of the tire
- Carefully placed sipes provide biting edges in wet, dry and winter conditions
Starfire Solarus AS is a non-directional symmetrical tire designed for year-round use on crossovers and passenger vehicles. These tires are new in 2018, aimed at the North American market. A key feature of all-season tires Starfire Solarus AS, which in the model range of Solarus AS replaced tires Starfire SF340 and Starfire RS-C 2.0, is a very attractive ratio of price policy and quality, due to the use of run-in technologies of the parent company Cooper.
Solarus AS tires offer an improved composition of the rubber compound and a tread profile focused on improving all-season grip. In addition, the technical specialist says IMCarExperts.com. the model is designed to provide a smooth ride with controlled control. It has deep side grooves that provide good traction throughout the life of the tire. The computer-optimized placement of the tread blocks and slats of the Starfire Solarus AS guarantees driving comfort and confident grip of the tire in wet, dry and winter conditions.
Radar Dimax 4 Season RP-4S Radial Tire
- Four seasons optimal performance with W speed rating (169 miles per hour)
- Certified for winter road use
- Optimal casing profile with tread pattern for grip and reduced noise
Radar Dimax 4 Season (RP-4S) - non-directional all-season tires for passenger vehicles and SUVs, which the American manufacturer Omni United decided to sell on the European market. According to the company, this model offers not only reliable performance in all these climatic conditions, but also promises high mileage.
Radar Dimax 4 Season tires have an asymmetric tread design with numerous cross grooves, says a technical specialist IMCarExperts.com which provide not only safety on wet roads, but also good control in winter conditions. The optimized tire profile guarantees a quiet and comfortable ride.
Another interesting feature of this model is a unique rubber compound that increases the reliability of the grip on the roadbed in all weather conditions, which, in fact, determined the all-season applicability of the Radar RP-4S.
Car All-season Tires Buyer’s Guide
All-season tires are developed by global tire manufacturers as a compromise between summer and winter tires. It has a low tread in common with the summer tread, while the winter tread has a pronounced tread pattern, where the checkers that form it are cut by the grooves of the slats. The main task that it is designed to perform is a sufficient level of safety on the winter road and the convenience of driving on the summer road.
Pros and cons of all-season tires
The main advantages are:
- its price is lower compared to the prices of winter tires, close to the cost of summer tires;
- there is no need to monitor the change of seasons, taking advantage of the time of replacement of a set of tires;
- comfortable driving in winter, with unstable weather – all-season tires are equally good on wet asphalt and snow, unlike winter tires do not make a characteristic noise when driving.
- winter tires run better on ice and heavy snow;
- in frosty winters, tires are too hard and too soft in high summer temperatures.
For most drivers, the costs of winter and summer wheels are expensive, some motorists use summer tires in the winter, putting themselves and others at risk. It is much more expedient to put on the car a set of all-season tires that can perform their tasks in almost any climatic conditions. Before you buy a set of wheels, be sure to read reviews about them, no matter what brand they are — this will save you from possible problems in the future.
Can I ride all-season tires in winter: pros and cons
With all the convenience and budget of using all-season tires, do not forget about safety, in particular, in winter. Manufacturers do not recommend it, but allow it to be used in the winter. It is considered that it remains relevant during this period, but only at temperatures up to -7°C. When the thermometer drops below, it should be changed to a purely winter one. The reason is that the rubber is getting oaky, losing its grip on the road surface.
Differences from summer tire models
The main criterion that determines whether a tire belongs to a particular class is the tread pattern. It is characterized by shallow tread grooves. There are few or no slats on the tread protrusions, and the protrusions themselves have a large area.
Summer tires are used at temperatures above +5°C. the rubber is relatively light in weight and has a hard surface. The weight of the all-season tire is greater, it is softer, and when the heat is high, it begins to float, becoming overly elastic.
Differences from the models of winter tires
For visual identification, the tread of winter tires has a strongly pronounced pattern, they can be equipped with spikes. The tread blocks that separate the output grooves are larger and the grooves themselves are deeper. The surface of the tires is made porous in order to increase the contact spot with the coating, which is especially valuable when driving on ice or a smooth snow-covered road.
The tread pattern of all-season tires is less sparse, it is lower in height than winter tires, which reduces the braking efficiency on a winter road. Warming up while driving, winter tires become elastic and soft, all-season at low temperatures, on the contrary, becomes hard, worsening grip and increasing the risk of accidents.
Best Prices for Car All Season Tires
Summer vs Winter vs All Season - What Tires Should You Buy?
What's the difference between summer, winter, and all-season tires? What Tires Should You Buy?